Sunday, September 2, 2007

A quiet weekend...

Have had a nice quiet weekend...

This morning though... we discovered that the duck eggs are all gone.. :0(
Something got to them..I suspect a raccoon...as we have had one visit the yard in the past.
Ahh well..I'll just have to acquire an incubator and go about it a different way come Spring time if I expect to have baby ducklings to sell.

Well..most all of the remaining pears decided to ripen all at the same time for me..ha. So..I had a large bowl full of pears to tackle rather quickly...
my oldest daughter helped me to peel up alot of the pears this afternoon..and I sliced them up..added a little lemon juice..a good bit of cinnamon, some ground cloves, about 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract..and about 3 1/2 cups of Splenda..cooked it all together for about 40 minutes until good and tender...and filled jars and let sit in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. It all made 4 large jars and 2 smaller jars full. (and tastes very similar to the Cracker Barrel style Fried Apples) We like to use the pears this way over pancakes or ice cream..very yummy.
I still have about 7 pears left that I expect I will make either a pie or something from..I haven't decided yet..or maybe a cobbler of some sort.

I went to Joann's Fabrics this weekend and got a few supplies for some Christmas gifts I want to make.
Wanting to have a handmade Christmas for the most part this year.
Even wanting to decorate the tree with some handmade trims this year...like a yo-yo garland and some miniature aprons and so forth.
A simple homespun look to things this year.

Well..hard to believe it is already September..and even harder to believe that I'll be one year away from the big 4-0 come the 17th of this month.
Yikes...yeah..I'll be 39 in a few days.
But I'm still 18 at heart.:0)
My sweet hubby will be 39 ..a day ahead of me..I joke that I got my older man after all..if only by a day..ha.
And he'll tell me .."well I remember being your age..it felt just like yesterday"..ha. He is the sweetest guy I know..a loving and caring father and husband. A real "keeper"...and yeah..a "good looking one" too...ha. (Happy Birthday Sweetheart!)


Well..I hope that you all have a really nice evening and a wonderful day tomorrow.
Thanks for joining me in "blogland"
~The Garden Goose

2 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, my birthday is on the 16th of Sept, too! Happy birthday to all of us! Hubby's b-day is a week apart from mine so we usually just celebrate them with one big party!

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Okay, are you all trying to rub it in that I will be 40(yuck, think I will go back a year) this October? Yeah, I know, 40, where is the walking stick. I just wonder if the next 40 will be a roller coaster ride like the last 40. Man, don't you just love the roller coaster ride better than the merry-go-round.lol I think your hubby is a keeper too, nice looking thing. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura