Monday, September 3, 2007

Sad Day...

A very sad day here today..awoke this morning to feed the ducks..and the female duck was not up at the back door with the drake..so I thought at first that perhaps she was sitting on an egg or laying one.. but all the sudden my daughter saw her...

up against the fence at the very back of the yard...dead.:0(

Something had attacked her during the night and well..the sight was rather gruesome.

Luckily the male survived unharmed..and was by the back door quacking..he has been moping around all day. So as soon as the feed stores are open tomorrow I shall call around to see where I can find a young female Peking Duck to give him company again.

I made the mistake of letting them have a nest up under the hedges in the back yard for the last 5 evenings without penning them up..thinking that surely they'd be o.k. in my city lot...
my clue should have been yesterday mornings missing eggs..but I honestly did not think that the thing(most likely a raccoon) that had eaten the eggs would be back to wreck even more havoc and this time go for something bigger..:0(

So it is definitely back to caging them up in the evenings.
Anyhow..I did cry a little bit..and then was mad..but had to do what had to be done..and dug the hole and buried the poor gal. Not the best thing to be greeted with first thing in the morning:0( Rest in Peace my sweet "Daisy Duck".
----------------
Well..I'm working this afternoon on getting some articles together for "Small Town Living".
--------------
I'll work this evening on making some ham and asparagus crepes for dinner along with a light salad or other light veggies. I just know that the main course will be crepes with the ham and asparagus and a light cheese sauce over the crepes.
------------------
I've been working on creating a fabric yo-yo garland for the Christmas tree this year..we are going to make things look homemade/homespun this year.
And try to make most of the gifts that we give...for the most part anyhow.
---------------
Well...I hope that you all have a good day today...thanks for joining me in "blogland"
~The Garden Goose~

10 comments:

Robin Follette said...

=( I'm so sorry! I remember the day you got them. I hope you can find a new hen quickly.

Regina said...

Poor little duckie... so sorry.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry. Why does nature have to be so very brutal. I`m glad
I got to see my Grand ducks and all the lovely photos of them you took .

Tina Leavy said...

thank you Robin, Regina and Mom W.
I will be calling the feed stores tomorrow to see if I can find someone around here that raises Peking ducks.
It is even sadder when you can tell the remaining duck is grieving.That part of things really got to me today too. Thank you all for your caring.

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Tina, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. (((hugs)))) I understand where you are coming from about something coming onto your land and messing with your animals. I get fired up at my neighbors about their dogs coming onto my land and harming my animals. I pray that you can find a mate to go with the male.
Love,
Laura

jayedee said...

it's heartbreaking, isn't it?
i'm really sorry for your loss and hope it's not too late in the season for you to find a companion for your drake!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

How sad!
I'm sure you will find a new sweet duck for your drake...they can fall in love all over again.

JANET said...

So sorry about the duck. We had a couple for a while before they got too big, then took them to the country and let them go at a pond.

Your supper sounds interesting!

Grantham lynn said...

So sad I am sorry. I know I had ducks for a while.Started with 6. Yes it is sad when things like that happen. I ended up with one that I kept for almost 4 years till we moved. I ended up rehoming him. He would walk with me to the mail box nipping at my pant leg until I picked him up to carry him! He lives on a huge pond now with lots of other ducks. Took him a while to adapt and realize he was a duck though. His name was Peter. When the original 6 arrived my daughter had them all named within 3 minutes! Good luck finding a lady friend.

Unknown said...

So sorry Tina, I know how hard it is to lose a farm animal, you get so close to them. We sure have lost our share, never easy. Good luck in finding a new one! Hugs!!