Thursday, August 2, 2007

Some of my Favorite Poems....

Wanted to share some of my favorite poems with you all...
---------------------------------

The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that, the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.


(The above poem is one that I had to recite in front of my English class in 8th grade..I have loved it ever since..although I did not love the fact that I had to stand in front of 30 plus other students at the time..but the poem is one of my favorites now)
--------------------------
If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking (Emily Dickinson)

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
--------------------------------

I'm Nobody, who are you? (Emily Dickinson)

I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us - don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know!
How dreary to be somebody!
How public like a frog
To tell one's name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!
--------------------
Who Has Seen the Wind?(Christina Rossetti )
Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing thro'.
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.
(this was yet another poem that I had to recite in front of class in 8th grade..I got an A for reciting it :0) ..ha. )
---------------------
The Rose (Christina Rossetti )
The lily has a smooth stalk,
Will never hurt your hand;
But the rose upon her brier
Is lady of the land.
There's sweetness in an apple tree,
And profit in the corn;
But lady of all beauty
Is a rose upon a thorn.
When with moss and honey
She tips her bending brier,
And half unfolds her glowing heart,
She sets the world on fire.
-----------------------------


Here's Hoping you all have a lovely day!

~The Garden Goose~

2 comments:

Regina said...

Some of my favorite poems as well- how did you know?!
Thank you!

Tina Leavy said...

I didn't..ha. :0) glad you enjoyed them