Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Garden Argument


I came across this darling poem today and wanted to share it with you all.

"The Garden Argument"

----------------------------------
The tomato said with a face rosy red,
“I’m the queen of the whole garden bed,
So tart and delicious most everyone wishes
On my juicy meat to be fed”
Said the onion so strong, ”You couldn’t go wrong
To partake of my elements rare,
With such a sweet savor I give a rich flavor
So all who might wish me may share”
Said the carrot so yellow ”I’m popular fellow,
At present I’m having my day:
My elements mild are so good for a child,
They make him grow rosy and gay”
The cabbage from the same garden bed
Said “I’m bursting to have my say,
So crisp and so white with flavor just right,
I am fit for a king any day”
The corn pricked his ears and said
“Listen ,my dears!
I have heard every word you have said,
For I am so tall I look down on you all,
I’m the king of the whole garden bed”
The celery said, ”Look! Here comes the cook:
We’ll let her wise judgment decide
Which one she may choose; the rest
Of us lose”
“Fair enough, we agree” they all cried.
The cook came along with a smile and a song:
The vegetables she viewed as a group.
She cut and she sliced
With her sharp paring knife,
And they all went into the soup.
(anonymous)
~The Garden Goose~

4 comments:

Quinne said...

Adorable, Tina! Thanks for posting it :) I think Miss M and I will learn that this spring. Love to you, Q

Day4plus said...

That is very cute. May I copy it? Such a nice blog you have---how can you part with your treasures? That is my problem, specially books. There they are in a bookcase and there they stay, I guess it would be nice to pass them around. MB

Tina Leavy said...

Hi MB yes you can copy it..it is darling isn't it.:0)
oh about the "treasures" ..I guess truth be told I very well may suffer from a slight OCD thing..although I have never been diagnosed..I get stressed out sometimes if I see too much clutter or things in disarray.
And I begin to feel overwhelmed. Such was the case after nearly a month of seeing all the snowmen displayed on my fireplace, and then all the cookbooks in my kitchen..ha.
I go through these.."gotta clear it out" phases from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I love that poem!! I hope you and yours has a very Merry Christmas.