Saturday, April 19, 2008

Week 3/ Domestic Bliss/In The Kitchen (Farm Girl Blog-A-Thon)

I love to cook and bake....and sometimes I come up with new recipes "from scratch" from time to time that are real "winners" for my family.

It seems sometimes that the ones that I create off the top of my head..are the ones they rave about..ha. So, when something like that happens... I quickly try to remember exactly how I created my "toss together meal/creation" and write it down for later use.

I also was blessed to have been given a lot of my grandmothers recipes before she passed away. My Granny Helen was a wonderful cook(in fact she used to own her own resturaunt in Euphrata,Wa years ago..a little cafe called the "Corner Cafe")......

Anyhow I'd like to share a recipe of mine and one of granny's recipes with you all.
-------------------
Here is one of my "from scratch" recipes .
--------------------------
STRAWBERRY PRESERVES
--------------------
3 pints fresh strawberries/stems cut off and halved/hulled
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 package strawberry flavored Jello gelatin
-----------------
Cook strawberries,sugar and lemon juice over medium heat until very soft.Mash lumps with spoon.
After about 20 minutes add jello and cook for about 5-10 minutes more.
Put into jars and let cool.
Makes about 2 large jars. Store in refrigerator.
---------------

and here is one of my Granny Helen's recipes....

HAMBURGER WITH BAKED BEANS
----------------------------
Cut 2 strips bacon into small pieces,add 1 chopped medium onion,saute.
Brown 1 lb. ground beef with the above. Drain fat.
Add 2 -1 lb. cans pork and beans,1/2 cup molasses,1/2 cup catsup,1/2 tsp. dry mustard,salt,worchestershire sauce(salt and worchestershire to taste..a few shakes of worcestershire and just a little salt)
Mix and pour into casserole dish.Bake at 375 degrees for 1/2 hour.
-------------------------------
Enjoy!!
-------------------------
~The Garden Goose~

No comments: